Open Road Tuning cannot be held responsible or liable for damage to suspension components, vehicle or injury to persons. If instructions and guidelines are not strictly adhered to, we reserve the right to null and void any warranty.
- Please be sure to thoroughly study and understand this user guide and its contents before proceeding with the installation of your performance suspension. If you have any questions regarding installation procedures, adjustments, etc. please contact Open Road Tuning or a qualified installing shop.
- When installing Open Road Tuning suspension systems, the installing party shall wear gloves to avoid the risk of hand injuries.
- Each Open Road Tuning performance shock assembly comes ready to install unless otherwise noted. It is imperative that no pieces be removed or interchanged with similar pieces from other companies or brands.
- The top hat used on this shock must be an Open Road Tuning original component.
- Open Road Tuning suspension components, hardware and tools may not be interchanged with other brands.
- Open Road Tuning shall not take any liability or responsibility for damage to the shock or accidents that are directly or indirectly related to other brand components being used with this shock assembly. Be sure to observe local and relevant vehicle regulations about the proper usage of adjustable shock absorbers.
- Open Road Tuning shall not be held liable for any violation of local vehicle regulations or laws. Please observe all regulations and laws regarding the use of adjustable shock absorbers.
- Per the instructions included within this user guide, avoid rough road surfaces.
- Before proceeding with use, please make sure that all components are tight, and no oil is leaking from the shock absorber assemblies.
- Tighten all components with the specified torque specs found within the factory vehicle service manual.
- When the desired height is achieved, it should be tested and aligned. At this point, it is imperative to re-check all components for tightness and torque specifications.
- Before use of the vehicle, ensure that all wheels are installed and torqued to the proper specifications per the factory torque specifications.
NOTE: Oil and grease is used in the production of our products. In some cases, you may find that during storage and transportation (especially in high heat scenarios), you may find oil or grease residue inside your package or on your shock bodies. This is not unusual or atypical. Please do not be alarmed, this is not detrimental to the longevity or performance of your suspension.
When your performance suspension leaves our facility, the dampers are set at full soft.
Each Open Road Tuning performance coilover system has a 24-step damping adjustment range. Please do not exceed more than 24 as it may damage the damper.
Having the correct preload tension on the front shocks is imperative – please do not deviate from the preload specifications outlined within this user guide. Preload tension prevents spring binding and any spring noises. It also maintains proper shock travel and will allow your dampers to function as designed. With each Open Road Tuning performance coilover kit, ¼” or 6mm of preload compression is required on the front springs. To achieve the proper preload specifications, measure the springs uncompressed. Most standard length coilover kits utilize a seven-inch front spring – thus, the preloaded length should be 6.75 inches. Rear preload should be set snug to the spring perch and chassis – preload measurement for the rear should not exceed 1/8 inch.
If you still experience spring noises at low speeds or whilst turning, it may behoove you to purchase a Radial Bearing Mount Upgrade. This upgrade utilizes a Japanese Koyo Radial Bearing pressed into the upper spring perch, which allows the spring to freely rotate independent of the top hat.
Applications with divorced rear spring setups which have the spring mounted on a separate adjustable perch. Setting the proper preload on a divorced rear spring setup is achieved by setting the ride height with the rear spring before adjusting the rear shock length. Once the ride height is set with the spring perch, the length of the shock should be adjusted such that there is no slack in the spring and preload is matched to the shock length.
If you have any questions regarding setting preload or adjusting your performance coilover system, please contact Open Road Tuning or a qualified installer.
COILOVER ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE:
ALWAYS adjust the coilover height from the lower shock mount portion, never the spring seat portion. By adjusting the height in this fashion, you will maintain the proper shock travel.
Should you adjust the coilover height using the spring seat portion, you will reduce the travel of the shock – this could result in poor ride quality and premature shock wear / deterioration.
NOTE: Before using your performance coilover system, please make sure that all bolts are tightened to the correct torque specifications and that nothing is loose or fouling the coilover assembly.
1. It is advisable to have a qualified professional fit your performance coilover system.
2. When replacing your factory suspension system with any performance or upgraded suspension, it is imperative to use the factory vehicle service guide.
3. When working on a lifted vehicle, it must be securely supported to prevent it from falling. Please use all proper jack and support points to secure your vehicle.
Lift the front wheels of the vehicle such that they are free and clear of the ground. Make sure the car is properly supported so that it will not collapse or fall. Then, repeat with the rear wheels once the front suspension is installed and checked. Do not drive the vehicle until all bolts, lock rings, etc. are checked!
It is normal for your shock absorbers to be mildly coated with a lubricant at the factory to prevent any rusting. This is completely normal, and there is no cause for concern. Should your shock be leaking fluid, please contact Open Road Tuning immediately and do not use this shock absorber.
After the height is adjusted on your performance coilover system, it is imperative that you check each locking collar for tightness. Failure to do so will result in damaged dampers.
Please be aware that dirt and small pebbles may become attached to the spring perches, as well as the threaded damper bodies. This may cause damage over time if not removed. It is advised that damper bodies, perches and springs be kept clean and clear of any dirt and debris.
LOCKING COLLARS – IMPORTANT!
The included spanner wrenches are to be used for the locking collars on the spring perches, and not on the bottom mount. Should you use the included spanner wrenches on the lower mount, the lower mount will free itself and come loose – causing the lower mount to rotate around the shock body. This is bad – very bad.
We suggest using a large flat head screwdriver and a mallet to lock the lower collar in place.
THE LEGAL STUFF
- All Open Road Tuning coilover systems are for off road use only and may never be installed on vehicles that will be driven on a public roadway or highway
- Open Road Tuning’s products should not be used or installed on vehicles operating on public, federal, or state roadways and highways.
- Vehicles with this product running on normal highways or roadways may cause damage or violate local roadway regulations and laws. All purchasers shall bear full liability for the component installation and use.
- All components must be installed by certified professional technicians.
- Open Road Tuning will hold no liability for installation error, including errors the come as a result of improper installation.
All Open Road Tuning coilovers and products are for motorsport and / or off-road use only. All purchasers assume responsibility and liability for the installation and use of Open Road Tuning coilovers and products. At no time whatsoever will Open Road Tuning be held liable or responsible for any injuries or damages as a result of coilover installation.
Open Road Tuning products are covered by a two-year limited manufacturer’s warranty, which is non-transferable. All products are warrantied for two years from the date of purchase. This limited warranty covers parts and products that are used only in an off-road or motorsports environment. This limited warranty covers hard parts such as mounts, shock bodies, top hats, camber plates and pillow ball mounts. It also covers the consumables, such as shaft seals, shock shafts, fluids and leaking shocks. This warranty does not cover improper installation, misuse or negligence in any capacity.
The product warranty does not apply to the following:
- Any products not purchased through Open Road Tuning or an authorized dealer.
- Any products bearing signs of abuse, improper installation or collision.
- Any products that are used on public roadways, highways, government-maintained roads or non-motorsport / off-road conditions.
- Any products that have been altered outside of the factory state.
- Any products that bear signs of damage from improper installation.
- Any products that are not professionally installed.
FINAL WARNING & FAREWELL
WARNING: ALL MOTORSPORTS CAN BE DANGEROUS AND RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH. YES, FOR REAL.
All Open Road Tuning coilovers and products are for off-road use or Motorsports use ONLY. Open Road Tuning coilovers and products are never to be installed on vehicles that will be driven on a public road or highway.
For the purposes of this disclaimer, motorsports are classified as any automobile activity that takes place off a public roadway or highway, in a competitive or timed racing environment – such as a race track. Open Road Tuning coilover systems and products are expressly sold for racing and off-road use and are not intended to be used on a conventional passenger vehicle or other legal highway applications. Purchasers of any Open Road Tuning product ASSUME ALL RISKS related to the use of Open Road Tuning products. This is including, but not limited to all personnel, property, economic injury, death, damage or loss, either direct or indirect, arising from the use and misuse of Open Road Tuning products in all environments including racing, motorsports, time motorsport events, on highway use, street use and conventional passenger vehicle use. At no point will Open Road Tuning assume any risk or responsibility for any injury or death as a result of Open Road Tuning product use.
Let it be known that any purchaser or end user of Open Road Tuning coilovers and products shall fully indemnify, hold harmless and defend (collectively “indemnify” and “indemnification”) Open Road Tuning, and its directors, officers, employees, agents, stockholders and affiliates (collectively, “indemnified parties”) from and against all claims, demands, actions, suits, damages, liabilities, losses, settlements, judgements, costs and expenses. Including, but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees and costs (collectively, “claims” and each a “claim”).